Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How Do I Know I'm a True Christian?

Return to Original Post

First off, let me start out by thanking you for submitting the question. I believe even the "best" of Christians doubt their salvation at one time or another - I know I certainly have. We tend to make the security of our salvation more complicated than it has to be. You stated that you are saved, which is the ONLY requirement to be with the Lord when He returns. Salvation in itself is simple - if you have asked Jesus to forgive you of your sins and have submitted to His authority by allowing Him to be Lord of your life, then you are saved. And NOTHING can break that. The Lord will never leave you, He will not forsake you.

I loved this part, "I just don't feel like it's enough to be with Jesus when he comes." Our works will never be enough - we will never do enough or be good enough to deserve residence with Him. That is the beauty of grace. If you truly are saved . . . then rest. Rest in the peace of knowing that you are everything to Him and He wouldn't want you anywhere else than where He is. Enjoy the works you do for Him - continue to pray, press on trying to win others to Christ - but do them because you love Him and you love others, not because a payment is required. That already happened when God offered His Son.

And on a final thought, let me encourage you to begin reading your Bible daily. I promise you, when you bury your face in His word - peace will come. And it will come at times when it makes no sense at all. I like to think that is God whispering, "It's all going to be okay. You're mine and I will never leave you." I want you to know that, and I'm convinced that we never truly know God until we study Him. So open up your Bible and commit to read it every single day - you deserve it and He desires it.

Much love,
Tammy

No comments: